Tuesday, April 12, 2011

google contacts info missing or out of sync

I use the contacts feature in gmail extensively and even in a abusing manner, (i.e taking notes) its a great tool for me to keep myself organized (sort of) and also to have all the info I need at the tip of my fingers, when this first happened I thought, well... it's just me, maybe I keep forgetting to click the "save" button , or maybe I just thought I wrote that note but I really didn't, (hello alzheimer:) now it is confirmed, I created a contact last night, and the gmail contacts feature has this "autosave" which I didn't used, I created the contact and filled the information (actually it was a couple of notes) and knowingly clicked "save" then I went to sleep, sending the laptop to sleep too, and now after a morning with no use I wake up my computer and find that the contact is there but all the notes are missing, and it's the second time in two days I lost something , fortunately , is not a big deal, I'm assuming here all my already saved contacts are in good shape, hopefully.
now, I wonder, possible causes (just let's not blame google here just as first culprit)
I have multiple machines desktop and laptops mac pc and linux windows with multiples instances of google gmail google contacts and google calendar opened at all times, all them are always in different states or the same, also I have filled my contacts with notes and random stuff to the point where my contact number surpasses 1300, also I have a nexus one phone and all the info is always in sync.
so all these computers are at a different distance from the server (in a network way) I mean they have different hops to the internet, different paths and different timing/sync settings, so what I think is happening here is that google is overwriting my contact info with outdated info from a previously blank (empty) contact, which I surely filled later.
any insights? google?

No comments:

Post a Comment